Saturday, January 8, 2011

Frame-A-Day 20: 306 N. Tucker


20. 306 N. Tucker, originally uploaded by jeffrey_knight.

Context is everything.

This doorway in downtown St. Louis caught my eye and I had to photograph it. It wasn't because of its design, it's color, or those really nice light sconces flanking it, but because of its context.

It was in this little niche, located below a parking garage. And it just seemed so out-of-place there, with its really nice light sconces and its siding, and it's little mail slot. There are three door buzzers there, so I imagine it leads to a small block of offices, but it's set into a space that seems so domesticated. That space in turn is set into a space that's definitely not.

Twenty pictures in, this is still relatively early in my frame-a-day project. I was still trying for the one photo a day ideal, but unfortunately I didn't take enough time thinking about this image. I knew I wanted to take a picture of this door because of where it was, I just didn't capture that at all here.

I believe in returning to a subject whenever possible if I don't feel I got what I wanted out of it. So I will come back here and try again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment